Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using RTOS to measure and log data in an external FLASH

Status
Not open for further replies.

foifsensej

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does a rtos make sense?

I'm working on a project with a Philips LPC2148 controller (512K FLASH, 32K RAM).

This project is about measuring and log data in an external FLASH. There must a lot of calculation (FFT, etc.) be done and I have to handle 4 Interfaces (SPI0 fast -> Logger and measuring, SP1 slow -> I/O-Modul, UART0 fast -> configuration and read logger by PC, UART1 -> refresh display data on displaycontroller).

Does anyone has experience with rtos on such an application. Does it make sense to use a rtos for this? I'm not sure that I can handle all 4 Interfaces on time, because of the overhead of a rtos. RAM and FLAH should be enough, doesn't it?

Thanks [foif]sensej

Re: Does a rtos make sense?

It don't has to be a final answer. Give me just an idea. (It's an LPC2138 until LPC2148 is released, of course). Any links?

Hello

RTOS is a good choice ,But you dont have to use it since it's bit complicated

if your processor is fast enough you can use a simple time slicer e.g. use a timer to count every 1 ms

1) write a function to colect & comper the count's - time_out()
2) write a function to sterch the time out
3) Do the process when timeout expires.

All the best

Bobi

I think if you spend some time on the RTOS, you will pay less time on application code.
With a RTOS you just assign a priority to each task, and each task will handle a process. You dont need to think too much about timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back