Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using piezo transducer to power an LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJohn20

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Using a piezo transducer to power an LED

Hi.

I saw a page where a mechanism tapped a piezo transducer diaphragm with an LED across it causing the LED to flash. (See https://rimstar.org/materials/piezo/piezoelectric_crystal_gift_card.htm).

I tried doing this and found that the LED does flash the first few taps but then stops working for further taps.

I really need an oscilliscope to look at the output of ther piezo.

My question is:
- As the piezo produces current in both directions and I only have a single LED across it, will the piezo" charge up (like a capacitor I guess) with a polarity opposite to the LED?

Also, how fragile are these transducers? I need to tap it quite hard to to get the flash.

Thanks.

no they do not charge up like a capacitor

yes, they are fragile

The light from the LED powered by the piezo is so dim and for such a short duration that you can barely see it. Why bother with it?

A piezo wafer is stiff and resonates (like a bell) when hit. The resonance causes it to produce AC.

I remember few years back I checked it. Piezo element I took it from a beeping buzzer like bike indicator one. I connected piezo to DSO without any load. Then I tapped it from one side, I noted the reading at +ve side 32 to 38 volt and negative side some 6 to 8 volt. Then I continued the test with different loads like resistor, capacitor and different values I noticed for a small load also voltage reduces drastically. Voltage came down to 5 to 7 volt at +ve side around 1 volt at -ve side. This happens because it generates enough voltage but current is very less.
When u connect a LED at this environment one possibility LED will get damage in a short period. So u need a Zener to protect it and if u connect a small value capacitor it can store small amount of current which will extent LED glow time. Preferably use a diode in series with piezo at right direction to avoid -ve voltage. If u want more power u need more piezo elements.

Some suggestions are ignoring elementary laws of electric circuits. A piezo element is a capacitive source and will in fact charge up to a DC voltage if the load current can't flow for both polarities.

Uisng an antiparallel (parallel with reversed polarity) diode to the LED or two antiparallel LEDs would be a simple way to overcome the problem.

The idea was to have a wind mill hooking a hammer which dropped onto the piezo to cause the LED to flash. Simple yet rewarding. Why not bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.