Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using ISD1700 for playing 4 separate sound recordings

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdwurm

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys,
It am creating a circuit that plays 4 separate sound recording (each 10-15 seconds) It was recommended that I use the ISD1700. I looked over the PDF for it and I could not find anything on if the chip would hold more then one message. I have a separate device with 4 negative outputs that as sound triggers. Do I need to buy four separate Chips for all the messages or can I store four on one chip and if so how do I trigger each message?

Re: Isd1700

Taking a quick look at the datasheet, unless you're going to use a microcontroller, I don't think the ISD1700 series will be a good fit for you. It certainly stores multiple messages, but in standalone mode (not using a microcontroller), it looks like you can only play the messages sequentially, acting like an answering machine.

Is this a one-off project? If so, look into the ISD2560 (or ISD2590/ISD25120). If you check the datasheet, you'll see that this will be much easier to work with in standalone mode. Unfortunately it seems that they are no longer made. As of a year or so ago Digikey and Mouser were still stocking them, but no longer. It's a shame, as these were hobbyist friendly parts, along with the ISD14xx series.

Again, if this is a one-off, I'm sure you can find these parts for sale somewhere. Looking on eBay, people are scalping these $7 IC's for $30. Sure wish I would have bought more when I had the chance. Still, if it's a one-off, even at $30 this might simplify things and save you a lot of time/effort, especially since there are loads of projects online to use as a guide.

https://kitsrus.com/pdf/isd_2560.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.