Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using C for analog Devices DSP 21992

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jundiaí

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear friends

I must use this DSP, and make a program until to the end of this year, but i don't know anything about this assembly and i'm think in use C to program them. But i have a question: How good is this C compiler? Is it eficient? Could i have problems with the execution time? What is your advice to me? Learn the assembly or program in C?

Thanks a lot

Jundiaí

It depends on what kind of work you are doing. If it reqires high performance, it will be better if you code it in assembly. And also it depends on what DSP you are using. If you are using a fixed-point DSP, coding in assembly will be better.

Although using assembly you could gain in performance it lower your efficiency. If you are developing a very complex algorithm sometimes it is imposible for you to develop it in assembly directly. In most cases, a C protyping is necissary.

About the performance difference on C and assembly, it depends on how the C code is written. If you know the architecture of the DSP and your C compiler well you could coding your C in a very low level manner. In this case, the performance is 20~40% lower than in assembly ( also depends on what assembly counterpart you compare with ).

C is easy to maintain. If it is acceptable, just do it in C.

Analog Device's C compiler is pretty good in general. The only drawback is it's entry and exit to/from it's ISRs (Interrupt Service Routines). It saves way too many values before entering it's routine and has to restore them all on exit.

s2c97

Status
Not open for further replies.