Not open for further replies.

ktr

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Microwave Forum,

I am trying to incorporate a RF power detector in my circuit at C-band to understand if a discontinious cable or a rusty connector exists between my antenna and PA.

I have a circulator after my PA to protect the circuit for reflections. Circulator's unused port is terminated with 50ohm to dissipate the power reflected from mismatches(normally). I want to show a 50 ohm termination to that port while simultaneously sampling the power in-line with a detector.

---Can I use a 0 db attenuator to show circulator's 3rd port 50 ohm termination while sampling the reflected power with a RF power detector. I tried drawing a schematic where normal lines are forward power and dashed lines are reflected power in case of a discontinuity, is this logical?

Kind Regards,

ktr

What do you mean by 0dB attenuator? In your drawing, is that "0dB" device a ferrite isolator or why does it provide isolation?

Hello Dr. Volker,

What do you mean by 0dB attenuator? In your drawing, is that "0dB" device a ferrite isolator or why does it provide isolation?

Thanks for replying. That's the part I'm struggling to figure out, if reasonable. If not properly terminated circulator does not work; hence I thought maybe a 0-db attenuator will provide the 50-ohm match to circulator. In MaximIntegrated site there is a similar topology given; picture below.

This is the datasheet of the 0-db attenuator I mentioned.

https://www.mouser.com.tr/datasheet/2/586/AT_attenuator-1154282.pdf

I thought maybe a 0-db attenuator will provide the 50-ohm match to circulator.

From your datasheet, that is a series of SMD attentuators. Different values including 0 dB can be used for post-layout level adjustment.

The attenuator will improve matching by 2*A dB, where A is the attenuator value in dB. The 0dB will behave like any other thru line, it doesn't improve return loss.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…