Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Use Selleys RP7 to prevent electronic board from rusting

Status
Not open for further replies.

xylon89del

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I have homebrew a circuit that works currently.

However, my friend just helped me spray the Selleys RP7 on it to prevent the copper on the circuit from rust.

I would like to confirm, because I am a little worried here.

Is it safe? and will it really work?

I wouldn't use it! If you really want to coat a board I would suggest you look at products meant for PCBs.

Keith

It depends on what you are trying to achieve and what environment the PCB is going to be in. So are light sprays, some a thicker liquid for dipping and then you get potting compounds. I wouldn't use anything unless it is for a harsh environment and then you need to worry about connectors & cables as well.

Search for conformal coating - that should find you some useful links.
Keith

I use HPA acrylic spray which is 'conformal coating' and available from Farnell in most countries.

Funny thing is a have an aerosol which had been on the shelf for several years, I just finished assembling a rather complicated PCB which will be used in a damp environment so I thought I would coat it for protection. The can had 'gone bad' although the HPA itself was fine. The nozzle blew out and a single stream of acrylic shot all over the board and flooded it :x It isn't only damp proof now, it's entombed in plastic! It's a good job I sealed all the connectors before starting.

Brian.

I use HPA acrylic spray which is 'conformal coating' and available from Farnell in most countries.

Funny thing is a have an aerosol which had been on the shelf for several years, I just finished assembling a rather complicated PCB which will be used in a damp environment so I thought I would coat it for protection. The can had 'gone bad' although the HPA itself was fine. The nozzle blew out and a single stream of acrylic shot all over the board and flooded it :x It isn't only damp proof now, it's entombed in plastic! It's a good job I sealed all the connectors before starting.

Brian.

Thanks, Brian.

Great that the connectors are safe n sound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back