Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Use of Optocoupler for differential signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopal_amlekar

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I want to interface a shaft encoder to a MCU. Now the shaft encoder operates at 12V while the MCU at 5V. The best way I thought, is to use a digital opto-coupler so the input diode is connected to shaft encoder output signals and optocoupler output is connected to MCU.
I am confused in connection of shaft encoder to the optocoupler input diode.

The encoder has a differential signal output (driven internally by 26LS31). Specifications of the shaft encoder are **broken link removed**.
So what I am thinking is connect the non-inverted (K1, for e.g.) output to Anode of optocoupler diode through a resistor and connect the inverted (K1 bar) output of encoder to the cathode of optocoupler diode.
Is it the right way to interface differential signals? Or I should use two different optocouplers for this purpose?

Can anyone please advise?
Thanks....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back