Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Use Ipod Mini without battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zackattack

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My Ipod Mini's battery wore out and I wanted to use the ipod only in the car. Thinking of that, why have a battery if its always going to be plugged in? So I took apart the ipod removed the battery and the circuit will not allow the Ipod to turn on. So I tried connecting the wires that connected to the battery... still no luck. however, there are 3 wires, a red, a black, and a white. If i connect all 3 wires together it starts up for a 1/10th of a second and turn off and does this repeatedly. Simply connecting the circuit to replace the battery is not enough. I have researched many different forums with no actual solution present. I have a couple of ideas though,
1. Use a capacitor/supercapacitor in place of the battery.
2. Use a series of resistors/thermistor to trick the phone into thinking a battery is still present.

There is something that this battery is doing to the circuit that I am not aware of that is deeper than simply getting charged and running the Ipod. If that is the case, it seems dumb to me that that step cant simply be overrode.
Any ideas? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.