Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB-to-RS485 converter problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

eepty

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have developed a system in which each device can communicate with each other through RS485. In the protocol, if a device want to send out a packet, it will detect the RS485 bus first to check if any data still on the bus to avoid collision. The system work perfectly within its own network. It also works when I use a RS232-to-RS485 converter to connect a computer to this system. However, if I use a USB-to-RS485 converter, I found that the data crashed.

What could be the reason?

Thanks!

Quite often, the RS232 <-> RS485 converters use either the CTS/RTS and/or the DSR/DTR RS232 handshaking signals to control the transmit/receive functions of the RS485 transceiver chip(s). It is possible that the USB-RS485 converter is either not using these signals, or not using them properly -- possibly because of an issue with the driver or driver configuration settings for the port.

Are you using the USB converter in the same way as the RS232-RS485 converter (for example, using Hyperterminal or PuTTY or other terminal emulator program with both devices)? Do both devices appear as Virtual COM Ports (VCP) within Windows ? Are you using Windows, or some form of Linux, or Mac OS on your computer?

What is the chip you are using for USB to Serial conversion. If it is FT232 then it has CTS & RTS signals. I'm using lot of the chips with out any issue. If you need schematic of the converter then i can provide...

Status
Not open for further replies.