Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB-powering an M6E Reader Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

daneloctober

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.. but anyway...

I was tasked to power a ThingMagic M6E reader module through USB ports from a laptop. The reader is configured to draw a maximum of about 800mA at 5V, so I figured all I had to do was connect it to 2 USB ports: 1 port for communication (FTDI to USB), the other for additional power. But then I discovered that you had to ASK the host to enable the USB port to give more current, otherwise, you only get about 100mA max from a USB port.

The USB for communication (the one with the FTDI interface) I think is all set to get 500mA, but the other USB port, I've read that all I had to do was use a 200 Ohm resistor to practically short the D- and D+ pins so I can get more than 100mA (without having to "ask").

The question I have is, will the reader draw equally from both ports if I short the data pins on the port dedicated to provide additional power?... Remember, I will be drawing a maximum of 800mA. I'm not really sure what would happen if I draw more than 500mA from either port... I guess the USB ports will shutdown or something...

Here is a schematic of what I'm trying to describe:
m6e usb with ftdi.png

Thank you very much!

If you have USB 3.0 then you can go with several amperes, lots PC motherboards support over 500mA on USB 2.0 ports (800-900mA).

You can use USB Power Injector to supply power from external source to device. With this you will avoid damaging of usb connector pins on long time usage.

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.