Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB game controller switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

droseman

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am looking at a project to build a home flightsim cockpit, and am looking at how to interface a set of switches to the PC over USB so that it is seen like any other game controller.

I assume that somewhere along the line I will need a micro to do this, but does anyone have any tips / links to help me get this project going?

Thanks
Dave

you can directly interface with usb..but it quite difficult..myb u can use usb to serial converter and do interface with microcontroller..

you can directly interface with usb..but it quite difficult..myb u can use usb to serial converter and do interface with microcontroller..

Thats quite a good idea, I wouldn't then have to find a more expensive micro with a USB interface. Do you have any experience with the microchip USB dev kit for their PIC18 chips, I read something that suggested to just modify their code a bit.

The one other thing that concerns me with that is the variability of USB - serial converters, when i last looked at these it was hit and miss if they would connect properly. That was a while ago, so maybe things have improved since then.

How would I map the keyboard commands to switches - is it just a case of writing hex numbers out on activation of IO line, or is it likely to be more complicated than that?

--dave

no..i dont have any experience in USB interfacing.. but for me, i think it something more difficult to understand rather than serial com..

if you talk about interfacing with computer, you should be familiar with Visual Basic, VC#, or VB.net.. but i dont have any knowledge in VC# or VB net.. i have much experience in Visual Basic and i already done reading input from, Serial Comm, keyboard Input, and USB Joystick input..

Status
Not open for further replies.