Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Connecting micro controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbhanot030

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am currently building a PCB which needs the micro controller to be attached to it. My question is that except using rs232 or Arduino or any USB converters, or it can be any external separate board, can I access that controller through any other means to burn the program and which can be placed on the same PCB as the micro controller. This picture is used as an example, instead of keeping the converter on a separate board I want to integrate it with the micro controller on the same board. Can someone please help me with this. I want to keep the external connection as the absolute last option.
image_2023-10-05_094113857.png

Hi,

It's not clear to me what you need.

If I understand correctly:
You want to design your own PCB with a microcontroller (application) on it.
And you want to program this microcontroller.

The datasheet of the microcontroller tells you all options how it can be programmed.
* usually there are "in system options" (bootloader, ISP...)
* or you need to install a socket for the microcontroller, for it to be programmed externally.

It looks like you want "in system".
If so, then this statement is confusing:
I want to keep the external connection as the absolute last option.
What does this mean?
No connection = wireless. (Some call this OTA = over the air update)
You could use optically, like using IR coupler:
Optically --> UART --> bootloader --> self programming

Or you could use RF, like bluetooth:
Bluetooth --> UART --> bootloader --> self programming

In both cases above you need to install the bootloader via a different programmer (hardware).

For further discussion please describe more clearly
* read the microcontroller datasheet about available programming options
* how you want it to work ... and why
* how you don't want it to work .. and why

Klaus

What I mean to say is that I need to design a PCB with micro controller application on it but need to connect it through USB to my PC to upload the hex files made from keil. The controller I am using is of 8051 series

Hi,

Why not giving clear informations / asking elaborated questions?
I´m not the right person for riddles. I already stated my worries .. the only useful new information is "8051", no other clarification.

I recommended to read the datasheet about the available options (I won´t do this for you) .. and tell us what you want / don´t want.

Klaus

The microcontroller in the post #1 picture is ATmega. It will hardly understand 8051 hex files.

First step could be to tell which controller you are actually using and which programming method you want to implement.

The image is just an example , I wanted to show through the picture , I am using a 8051 series and using UART

For future project consideration.

If you want a ADC + Micro + USB you can do that with one chip quite easily.

Here is a project done in PSOC that is a SOC, it has many more capabilities than
what is shown. I added the LCD and SAR, also onchip, just to show flexibility of
device. Note 20 bit DelSig could have also been used, with analog mux, also all
onchip.

Right hand window shows resources onchip used/remaining, as you can see many
resources left for other uses.

1696500681187.png

Whats on chip, multiples in many cases :

1696501040310.png

Each component ( a component in PSOC land is an onchip resource), come with a
library of APIs to manipulate component.

Compiler and IDE (PSOC Creator) free, board, CY8CKIT-059 $15. IDE comes with
large # projects one can modify, additionally community has done quite a few
in public domain.

Several fams, from low end to dual core, PSOC 4, 5LP, 6, all ARM, even parts with 8051
core, PSOC 3, but I recommend the 5LP family as best choice overall.

Keep this in mind for next time you tackle a mixed signal project.

Here is a couple of examples of other projects, post #4

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
Hello!

To put it differently, you want a microcontroller with USB connectivity, right?
In this case, instead of 8051, why not choosing a microcontroller with USB connectivity?
I'm using mostly TI (MSP430) and ST (STM32), and in both cases there are a lot of devices
devices with on-chip USB. Especially if you are building a new board, you should consider
using directly a USB capable MCU. Otherwise you will have to sinchronize a chip that belongs
to semiconductor prehistory with some kind of USB interface, possibly FTDI, an it will not be
simple.
If you use for instance STM32, there is a powerful tool allowing to generate the whole structure
of your program and you just need to fill the holes.
You select what kind of USB you want (device, host, both), you select the USB profile (mass storage,
data interface, etc...) and you're done.

Dora.

What I mean to say is that I need to design a PCB with micro controller application on it but need to connect it through USB to my PC to upload the hex files made from keil. The controller I am using is of 8051 series

The data I have to transmit is of 16 bits and I think that using 32 bit maybe a waste of resources since I will not pipeline the data but have to serially transmit it. I am using it for serial communication to a DAC which is of 16 bit. Any clarification on this ?? ST10 was not recommended which is for 16 bit. The only option is to switch to 32 bit or 8 bit.

Hello!

MSP430 is a 16 bit device, STM32 is a 32 bit device. But that doesn't mean that STM32
is always more expensive than MSP430. So 32 bits is not necessarily a waste.
And beside this, you can use UART or any other serial in 8 bit mode.
I don't see a clear relation between pipeline and number of bits.

Any clarification on this ??

On what?

ST10 was not recommended which is for 16 bit.

What is ST10?

Dora.

Hi,

that controller through any other means to burn the program

need to connect it through USB to my PC to upload the hex files made from keil. The controller I am using is of 8051 series

I'm really confused.
Can someone enlighten me why the posts that don't refer to "uploading code" at all ... get positive feedback ... while the other posts don't.

And how post#10 refers to the topic at all?

Klaus

Post #10 is apparently the first post referring to the uC application while previous posts discussed ways to download uC firmware. As already stated by others, the thread is missing the whole picture.

Considerations about 8/16/32 Bit processor advantage for data transfer are simply missing the point. Internal processor organisation has little to do with peripheral data transfer capabilities unless you are targeting to high speed.

Giving a bit more info about the intended application would allow to give specific suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back