Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Flash drive Interface to FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

maheshhkc

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We are doing a project on reading a simple image from USB flash drive onto an FPGA (The development board being XUPV5-LX110T from Digilent). We have USB IP core from Opencores. How do we use that to read the data and store it onto memory on board?

You have to do quite a lot, besides implementing USB host and PHY functionality, control of a mass storage device, including the SCSI-2 command layer. It would be a cake-walk to use a SD card memory device instead. A FAT layer has to be implemented in both cases, unless you placing the data in fixed memory blocks.

Thank you FvM.
The thing is there is only one data, that is the image, in the pen drive. We have chosen so to simplify the task.

I have understood how the signal flow in USB protocol happens. Using the address of the USB port (like the address of the peripheral) cant I command the USB flash controller inside the pen drive to access and send data?

If it's not too late to switch to SDcard (preferably accessed in SPI mode), you should do it. Otherwise calculate one or two weeks of serious work (if you don't find a ready-to-use FPGA implementation of a MSD host).

Where can I find it? Any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

Its actually an academic project for Engineering. So, synopsis is already submitted. Its difficult to change

Well, academia is surely used to the concept of requirements changing upon contact with reality. ;)

Last edited:

Where can I find it? Any suggestions?

Also, just google "sdcard spi verilog" or "sdcard spi vhdl". I'm too lazy to even summarize the relevant hits, it's so easy to find. ;)

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.