Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Urgent need of some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

INS-ANI

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a project where i need to transmit some command bits using wireless mode of communication. Considering its usage as a mobile surveillance unit, range should not be around 200 m or so.

I need advice what options do i have?

here's what i was planning.
Using a pair of GSM cells one at control end and other at mobile unit end.I plan to connect a call and then transfer data to uC using DTMF decoder.

I am also using RF module to transfer some surveillance data back to control.(Which is data from IR webcam)
Just for learning purpose my institute demands that i can not use same wireless medium for both the application.

now, i request you to please advice me on following points:

1) Ideally the system should have long range, what other options do i have.

2)I am concerned about the pricing of two GSM cells. Hence please advice me if it would be cheaper to use Cell phone or GSM modules?

3)any other advice you have for my problem and also for improving the project.

(If you require more information, please prompt me to add more details)

Hi,
You can use Zigbee modules as rf transmitter and receivers. If you use GSM mobile, you have to pay for each transmission to the service provider.

chand1 said:
Hi,
You can use Zigbee modules as rf transmitter and receivers. If you use GSM mobile, you have to pay for each transmission to the service provider.
I have personally not used Zigbee modules but just a question about....What is the maximum range of these modules in open Air and in fringe locations?

it would be nice if you used two GSM cell phones, i think these things too cheap now, but remember to choose model easy to deal with (available AT commands, tools and PC connectivity).
another solution use WLAN instead of GSM, but remember you won't get range higher than few hundred meters, its ease that you can use ordinary wireless router and access point and your communications will be IP based.
zigbee range i think won't exceed 30 meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back