Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Up- conversion vs Down-Conversion Diode Mixer Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

svia

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have basic doubts about how to design a up conversion diode mixer. Which are the difference with designing a downconverter?
In a case of a single balanced mixer, using a 3 dB coupler, design could be depicted as (Hybrid, diodes, IF Filter):
downconverter.jpg

While designing an up converter:

What should be taken into account in design?
Which are the differences?
Is the design something like this?

Upconverter.jpg

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• Upconverter.jpg
    Upconverter.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 82

There isn't any principal difference between upconverter and downconverter mixers but input and output hybrids would be optimized for the frequency assigned as RF or LO or IF outputs/inputs.
The core is almost same..

The upconvert and the down convert are not the same, just be careful about the hybrid wavelength difference, that's about 180 deg difference.

I'm using a 180 º hybrid for downconversion. For up-conversion, is it possible to use the same hybrid? Or which parameters I should optimize for up conversion?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back