Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unusual Stepper Motor wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

gailen

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
stepper motor wiring

I bought some surplus stepper motors and I have been trying to figure out a way to interface to them.

Its a Warner Electric Stepping motor model SM-096-0030-AG

It is 10DC with 1.8 degrees per step
It uses 6 wires.
I measured 2.5 ohms between 1,2 4,5 and 3,6
I measured opens with any other combination.

From reading, I thought the 6 wire ones we supposed to have logical 2 poles with A-, A, A+ and B-, B, B+ hookups. Example, A- and A+ should have twice the resistance between A,A- or A,A+ as it is 2 windings.

I am unable to find material on the wiring for this model or any other that seems to have its similiar properties. Am I looking at it wrong or someone have an idea how this is supposed to work?

Thanks

stepper motor wires

It sounds like a three-phase stepper configuration. Unusual, but possible though. You may want to evaluate the phase orientation oft the individual windings by fixing a hand to the motor shaft and applying a current to the windings sequentially.

step motor wiring

Hello!

Look at this:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Best regards!
Venix

5 phase stepper wiring

You apparently read about 6 wires and ignored the other things said.

gailen

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
stepper motor 6 wires

FvM,

Looks like it is 3 phase. Going have to build a more complex driver that can reverse it without a short state. Probably 3 H-Bridge circuits that can handle 3A and use a microcontroller to step through them.

I may just try to get a traditional 4 phase one for later projects as those tend to be more standard.

sm-096-0030-ag

Yes, you can think of it as a synchronous 3-phase motor and a 3-phase bridge should work with a motor delta or star wiring.

I must confess, I never heard of it before. A german company made 5-phase stepper motors in the past, but they are out of business since long.

wiring stepper motors

Yeah I seem to have gotten lucky choosing these as my tutorial to steppers. Unfortunately there aren't any spec sheets that come from surplus part stores, but I am not complaining much as they were only $5 a piece. It will probably be fun to see if I can make a driving circuit for it. Got some of the parts. Just need to reinstall my compiler and IDE for the controller.

I have seen some sites with some small mention of 3 and 5 phase steppers, but no data on them. I am just assuming they have a greater torque capability.

3 phase stepper

FvM
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009 15:28 Post subject: Unusual Stepper Motor wiring
You apparently read about 6 wires and ignored the other things said.

My mistake!

Best regards!
Venix

wiring a stepper motor

I think the attached photo can help you.

good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back