Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Universal power supply for led

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddarth.ghaste

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,
I am making universal power supply for led by using 0.1uF/275V BOX capacitor and I am getting 20VAC and 6.5mA current at 230VAC. But below 110VAC I am not able to get good intensity.How to have constant current..... Is there any solution to this.PLEASE DO REPLY....

The reactance of your capacitor is :- 1/(2 X PI X F X C), for 50 HZ mains this is about 30K. The current it will provide is 230/30 mA = 7.3 mA and half this at 110V. You need to make the capacitor bigger. You have got a bridge rectifier across the LED, else you will blow the LED up (too much reverse voltage).
Frank

Hi All,
I am making universal power supply for led by using 0.1uF/275V BOX capacitor and I am getting 20VAC and 6.5mA current at 230VAC. But below 110VAC I am not able to get good intensity.How to have constant current..... Is there any solution to this.PLEASE DO REPLY....

To make it UNIVERSAL you have to convert AC to DC and then (using something like PWM )ensure that the LED’s current remains almost constant ...
Simple solutions with just a capacitor and a diode + resistor won’t be universal …

:wink:
IanP

Take in mind that Blue LEDS are most sensitive to burn than Red ones, due to their greater energy required to stimulate eletrons.
Thus, you must take some care to avoid excessive ripple.

+++

The current limiting for a 1 MF at 50 HZ = 70 mA. If you use a half wave rectifier then the current would be 35 mA. What is the current rating of your LED?
Frank

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back