Status
Not open for further replies.

chintan_jagani

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I plan to build a universal interface converter. This project will consist of making a kit that would have various physical interfaces related to computer hardware, such as RS-232, RS-485, USB, firewire etc., at its input and output. At a time we could select any one of the interface combinations e.g. RS-232<=>USB, RS-232<=>RS-485 and the kit would control proper signal conversions. Would anybody help me in realising this project. How can I minimize the hardware requirements?

I am still a student and in initial phase of project analysis correct me if I go wrong.

Why would anyone want one of these? It's going to cost a lot more that a single converter and the software drivers are going to be a nightmare. It will be virtually impossible to take advantage of any native modes. For example will the USB port show up as a COM port or HID or High-speed USB? Testing will also take a lot of time. Have you calculated the configuration permutations?

My advice is to consider a less ambitious project so you can thorougly learn something without a huge number of problems.

Now the modern laptops donot have a RS-232 port, so this kit may be used to convert RS-232 to USB, parallel ports are also being replaced by the USB, old computers donot have a plug-in for USB and such. I will consider ur suggestion and would use only highly advantageous combinations only.
Are these serial adapters so difficult in construction or are they something different? I have seen many of them on the internet.I got to see this article on internet I will send u image of that product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…