Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

universal interface converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

chintan_jagani

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I plan to build a universal interface converter. This project will consist of making a kit that would have various physical interfaces related to computer hardware, such as RS-232, RS-485, USB, firewire etc., at its input and output. At a time we could select any one of the interface combinations e.g. RS-232<=>USB, RS-232<=>RS-485 and the kit would control proper signal conversions. Would anybody help me in realising this project. How can I minimize the hardware requirements?

I am still a student and in initial phase of project analysis correct me if I go wrong.

Why would anyone want one of these? It's going to cost a lot more that a single converter and the software drivers are going to be a nightmare. It will be virtually impossible to take advantage of any native modes. For example will the USB port show up as a COM port or HID or High-speed USB? Testing will also take a lot of time. Have you calculated the configuration permutations?

My advice is to consider a less ambitious project so you can thorougly learn something without a huge number of problems.

Now the modern laptops donot have a RS-232 port, so this kit may be used to convert RS-232 to USB, parallel ports are also being replaced by the USB, old computers donot have a plug-in for USB and such. I will consider ur suggestion and would use only highly advantageous combinations only.
Are these serial adapters so difficult in construction or are they something different? I have seen many of them on the internet.I got to see this article on internet I will send u image of that product.
33_1159327050.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back