Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Universal component libraries for different ECAD tools

flote21

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

Im my company we are using Altium, PADs and Kicad to the ECAD desgin. And every tools is using its own library extension. So a lot of time is spending to create the symbols and footprints in all the different ECAD tools. Is there any smart way to use like a generic library extension which can be imported by the three ECAD tools? On that way if any change is applied in the universal generic library, the change will appear in all the ECAD tools?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings.

Hi!
Yes I know the suppliers.But my idea is to create like a internal database with sch symbols and footprints where the three ECAD tools can use it...
It is somthing customized for my company..
Greetings

Hi!
Yes I know the suppliers.But my idea is to create like a internal database with sch symbols and footprints where the three ECAD tools can use it...
Greetings
But this database will not be compatible for all tools which you've been using.
Each tool has its' own database and format so it's not possible to find an universal/unique "Central Library".
I hope, had understood well your problem.

There are limited design conversion options between Altium and PADS and also between Altium and KiCad. Experience tells that CAD design conversion is never completely lossless, but you may try to use e.g. Altium libraries as master and derive KiCad and PADS libraries.

There's no "neutral" library format providing all necessary information. Some aspects are covered by older exchange formats but many features are missing. So it's more realistic to use a proprietary library format as basis.

Hi!
Greetings
This is like asking everybody to speak the same language. It's not going to happen. There is no standard format for component libraries.

But I have to ask, why is your company using THREE different tools? I think that's a problem.

Exporting from one trusted source to all libraries may be the easier than trusting a program to use one source and generate each file unless you have the source code for one of these tools. (unlikely). But developing program to replicate your process of doing this is easier than writing the program to translate all the libraries from one source.

Other info from GPT4

Creating a universal library converter that can automatically translate between all of these different formats (Altium, PADS, KiCad, and ECAD) is theoretically possible, but quite complex. Each of these platforms has its own proprietary format with unique features and ways of representing schematic symbols, footprints, and possibly 3D models.

To clarify further, let's break down the process:

1. Understanding Formats: To start, you would need to have a deep understanding of each of the file formats used by these tools. This includes the data structure, the information stored, and any peculiarities of the formats.

2. Extraction: Next, you would have to write code to parse and extract information from the source library file. This means reading and interpreting the information correctly, whether the source is in Altium, PADS, KiCad, or ECAD format.

3. Conversion Logic: You then need a middle layer that translates the extracted data into a neutral format. This neutral format should be versatile enough to represent all the data required by the various target formats.

4. Generation: Finally, you would need to generate the target library files from the neutral format. This involves creating valid files that can be read by the respective software.

5. Testing: Rigorous testing is essential to ensure that the converted libraries work as expected in each software package. This includes not just the correct representation of schematic symbols and footprints but also the preservation of any parametric data or metadata associated with each component.

Additionally, here are some considerations and challenges you might face:

- Licensing & Proprietary Formats: The proprietary nature of some formats might present legal challenges, or there may be technical challenges in reverse-engineering them.
- Feature Parity: Not all EDA tools have the same features, which can make a 1:1 conversion difficult or impossible in some cases.
- Updates: EDA tools are updated regularly, and each update might bring changes to their file formats, requiring continual maintenance of your converter program.
- User Interface: Creating a user-friendly interface that can handle different options and configurations for conversion.

Do you have experience with these formats? Are you considering writing this program yourself, or are you looking for an existing solution? If you're writing it yourself, what languages and libraries are you considering for this task?

You can call me in any topic by writing @ElektrodaBot. Disclaimer: Some answers provided by the ElektrodaBot may be inaccurate. Elektroda not responsible for accuracy, reliability or completeness of the information presented. All ElektrodaBot responses should be verified by the user.

It is not unlike creating a Master Registry for second source parts with in-house P/N's . All aspects that are critical to each must be evaluated by the Component or Design Engineer. In my case, I was Ops Mgr for an R&D company, so I used Foxbase in the 90's and with software help, created BOM's and pick lists and up to 6 sources for purchasing to quote on. this included, size value, speed, ESR etc

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back