Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

uC interface to PC for high data rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

x3.exe

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Helo everyone, I need to set a communication link between my microcontroller and PC, which would be capable of transfering data to PC at at least 64Kbps. I am not sure whether RS-232 connection will be fast enough for this purpouse. Can anyone please tell me what maximum data rates can be achieved with RS232, and if it is too slow, suggest some other ways of interfacing uC to PC. Thankx in advance.

Added after 1 minutes:

* 64 KBytes instead of 64 Kbps

I will not recommend RS-232 since it is an old technology, use USB which is newer and support high data rates.

x3.exe

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Any PC supports 115 kbps, modern PC chipsets speeds up to 461 or even 922 kbps. But most mobile computers omit RS232.

Regarding USB, is it possible to interface PIC33FJ series microcontrollers to PC via USB, or is there a particular serie of uC which has that feature?

Added after 4 hours 36 minutes:

FvM said:
Any PC supports 115 kbps, modern PC chipsets speeds up to 461 or even 922 kbps. But most mobile computers omit RS232.

On the PC side, if I open comm port properties, the maximum data rate that can be set is 115kbit/s, how can I increase that value? If I just set the baud rate of 930Kbaud on both uC and hyperterminal, the port freezes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back