Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ubuntu with windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdalrahman_ehsan

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
my laptob comes with windows 8.1 and i created an unallocated partition and installed ubuntu 13.41 on it, i made the default loader the ubuntu's loader
now i can't login to windows 8.1
any suggestion ??

I used rEFInd.

I also got a laptop a few months ago with Windows 8. "Let's quickly install Ubuntu", I thought. Yikes! It took me 3 or 4 days to sort the whole mess out and get up and Running in Ubuntu (dual boot with Windows 8).

Actually the first half day was just trying to figure out windows 8, then came the painful process of learning about UEFI, GPT, secure boot etc.

Anyway, after (unsuccesfully) trying several other ways to get the machine to dual-boot, I found the rEFInd boot manager, which works like a charm.

Burn an bootable USB disk using UltraISO in windows,make an easy ubuntu start disk,install grub into MBR.use grub to solve this.

thank you for your reply,
i am a new user to ubuntu , i read about rEFInd and i am going to install it but my windows 8.1 is secure boot , so as i understand from here :
file:///home/abdalrahman_ehsan/refind-bin-0.7.6/docs/refind/installing.html#quickstart
i had to user --shim option, is that right ??
if so , i don't know what is the shim program file and how to download it ?? would you help me ??
i can't log in to windows now

- - - Updated - - -

Burn an bootable USB disk using UltraISO in windows,make an easy ubuntu start disk,install grub into MBR.use grub to solve this.

shell.albert
thank you for your reply ,
but now i can't log into windows now
i want a solution

I had the opposite problem - I was stuck in Windows and couldn't get to Ubuntu (except with a bootable memory stick). I forget exactly how I installed rEFInd, but here's a couple of things I do remember:
1) I needed to get into the laptop's cmos settings and change a few options.
2) You need to disable quick-start for it to work properly. Hmm... I suppose you have to get into Windows first before you can disable it's quick-start.

As a way to get started, you could use a rEFInd bootable CD or memory stick. That will at least get you into Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.