Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] UART send data when PC ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

bozonas

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am trying to communicate microcontroller with PC through UART. But I want microcontroller to sent data, not when its powered on, but when pc is ready to receive it. And i want to ask, does pc sends some kind of data to UART when it receives data, or when I start minicom/hyperterminal, or ...

When PC is turned on, some application is started and that software sends notification to uC that PC is ready and that PC can receive data.

This is done by flow control as it is called in hyperterminal. It can be implemented as hardware flow control using the control signals of the RS232 port DTR, CTS, RTS,... In this case the uC will wait for the PC to assert the appropriate flow control signal to send data.
Another way is to use a software flow control like the xon/xoff. In this case the uC waits for a byte (xon) to send data and stops sending if it receives a xoff.
Both are standard protocols and you can search the web for detailed info.

This is done by flow control as it is called in hyperterminal. It can be implemented as hardware flow control using the control signals of the RS232 port DTR, CTS, RTS,... In this case the uC will wait for the PC to assert the appropriate flow control signal to send data.
Another way is to use a software flow control like the xon/xoff. In this case the uC waits for a byte (xon) to send data and stops sending if it receives a xoff.
Both are standard protocols and you can search the web for detailed info.

Thanks!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back