Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

type of feedback in LDO regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmos_ajay

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Attached are LDO regulators with NMOS and PMOS pass device .
What is the type of feedback used in each case ? Kindly explain this.

Is it voltage series, voltage shunt , current series, current shunt type feedback ?

Thanks.

Attachments

• nmos_ldo.JPG
    nmos_ldo.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 190
  • pmos_ldo.JPG
    pmos_ldo.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 247

In both cases a portion of the output voltage is fed back - hence, we have voltage-controlled voltage feedback.

I agree the output voltage is being sampled in shunt by the resistors.
How is it being fed back to the input ? Is it fed back to input in series or in shunt ?

That's kind a bad question.

It is voltage divider between R1 and R2. On PMOS it is connected to +, on NMOS to - terminal of OP-amp.

In case NMOS (I think more often used and more stable) you have non inverting feedback:
Vout = Vref(1 + R1 / R2) where Vref is voltage connected to + terminal, in this case zener diode.

I guess you are asking in terms of the two port analysis of feedback systems.

The LDO in both cases is a Input Voltage Series; Output Voltage Shunt Feedback.

The output voltage is measured/sensed in shunt using a resistor divider.
The feedback voltage is fed in 'series' to the input of the amplifier.

There is no difference between the 2 LDO types other than the pass device and associated minor changes in the configurations.

In case NMOS (I think more often used and more stable) you have non inverting feedback:
No - it`s inverting. NMOS is confugured as a source follower (non-inverting) and the feedback signal, therefore, goes to the opamps inverting terminal.

LvW, you are right. It was my mistake! But equation is correct.
Thanks for posting that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back