Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

two different guard ring

Status
Not open for further replies.
kapilsn said:
Shouldnt the digital part be surrounded by gaurdrings instead of analog??Why not??
I'd think guardRings should be used for screening
  • parts which generate exceedingly high levels of EMI
  • parts which are particularly sensible against EMI
... i.e. for both digital & analog parts, if necessary due to these criteria.

b facilitates routing wiht metal1 , if the block below is not sensitive enough...:)

If you really want to seperate substrate between analog blocks and digital blocks, All I know is to use triple-well guardring.
by the way, what is box-shielding?

What kind of ground does one connect to guard rings? Should it be clean (analog) or digital? If you're protecting analog circuits, I think it should be gnda, but if you're fencing off a digital block, it should be gndd, right?

erikl said:
...I'd think guardRings should be used for screening....
I would say; you can use it as screening, but its idea is originally for limit/stop currents from/to another parts of your circuits/PCB & Chip surfaces...
What you means is (for me) more a GND ring (w. appropriate contacting on systems base/ GNDs, these is usable for screening...
Regards!
K.

Guard rings may have multiple purposes.

One is to shunt away substrate noise currents. That would
be served as well by (B) as (A).

Another it to make a DC tie for every single body of every
transistor. There are tie-proximity rules that have to be met.
It seems possible that tbe devices at the bottom of (B) might
not have as good a tie. That comes down to the final layout.

Unless you're in a lose-a-penny-per-die kind of business,
there's no such thing as too good a guardring.

if the digital circuit has a latch-up issue, then guard ring type A is prefered. maybe type b is usable if the analog circuit is far enough from the digital circuit or it is located at the edge of the die. and i don't think the guard ring took very large area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back