Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Turning a delta-wye transformer into a wye-wye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Los Frijoles

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
delta wye transformer

I have been tasked to use a delta-wye step-up transformer in reverse to create 440VAC from 480VAC. The power levels and everything come out right, but now all the output power is coming out of a delta winding. The plug I have to use for this is one of those 4-pin 150A grounded plugs. Normally, the delta would be the primary, but since this is being run backwards it is the secondary.

What I would like to know is if it is necessary to synthesize a neutral to ground the delta side of the transformer with resistors in a wye configuration: **broken link removed**
The Wye side is already grounded, so this would reference the chassis ground in the above picture to the same ground that is on the wye side.

The resistors would obviously be large (>100K) and the wattage would be large also (100-250W I would guess). I think this would work but I have to be sure before I go telling my boss about it, so could someone just confirm that this would work and that it is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back