Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Turbo code in Rayleigh fading channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

emma2

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,
I'm considering flat fading Rayleigh channel. My problem is that , after multiplying the signal by h and adding the AWGN it has this form r=h*tx+n and its obvious that this is a complex values. and to retrieve my data I estimated h at the receiver and divided the received data by it like this y=r/h and this also complex and I need a real values as an input to the logmap decoder..is it enough for me to just take the real of y or there some fancy steps I should consider.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated

In the case of a fading channel you need, it is the received signal attenuation that ends up having a Rayleigh distribution. Now if we consider the received signal as 'r', transmitted signal as 't' and AWGN as 'n', then consider 'x' as the Rayleigh dist. Assuming you have a BPSK signal then, you need a matched filter at the output (not division), since it is rayleigh channel you have multiplied "t" with the attenuation factor and phase factor. A detector-combiner compensates for the phase shift and weights the signal for rayleigh channel, this is done segregating 1's and 0's . Then a simple method is to use a "Brennan combiner" to combine the transmitted 1's and 0's into a single channel. Here we consider only the real parts. of the output i.e. r=t.atten_factor.phase factor+n -> matched filter ->(detector)maximum ratio combiner.

Thanks alot in the first place, then isn't the division equal to multiplying by the conjugate of h. for my case i will consider h is known at the receiver, and to explain my case:
Consider Tx: transmitted signal (coded and BPSK modulated)
n:awgn
h: channel gain or channel coefficient "I'm considering slow fading ".
now at the transmitter output will be : out_put_rec=h.*Tx+n
at the receiver: out_put_hat=out_put_rec./ h
now why do I need the maximum ratio combiner?

i) at the receiver you need a matched filtering, which is not the same as division. ii) a combiner is required for the multipath assuming "M" channels over which the same data come through, then you combine the multipath data optimally to get a the correct output. (This you could probably ignore if you want a sub optimal solution, which would still be ok). (You can look more about this in typical communication books by Proakis, Haykin, Sklar,....

Status
Not open for further replies.