Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to figure out how to solar power an embedded device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicky_song

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an Arndale octa board which itself needs 5V 3A power supply. Then I have four (4x) DC 5V motors and a 5V servo, and a number of other peripheals. So I think 5V 5A is safe to assume?

I want to power all of this with Solar, which if there's not enough light I will switch to a backup battery (that the solar also charges, during idle time)

I tried doing some research but I'm just so confused. I know I will need like 12 or 24V rechargable battery and a buck regulator, perhaps a board that regulates between solar/battery and such, and solar panels. But I am really in over my head trying to figure out the pieces. Can someone please help point me to some good products on the site to do what I want?

[edited by moderator: deleted link to commercial website]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

Then I have four (4x) DC 5V motors and a 5V servo, and a number of other peripheals. So I think 5V 5A is safe to assume?
They may consume 50mA, or they may consume 50A ...how can we know?

Battery capacity:
Measure the current and multiply it with the hours to get Ah.
Multiply Ah with Volts to get Wh.

Example: an 8Ah, 12 V battery gives energy of about 100Wh
Your controller board needs 5V, 3A, this is 15W.
Divide the 100Wh of the battery by the 15W of the controller board and get a runtime of about 6h.

But all this is with 100% healthy batteries and 100% conversion efficiency. This is not realistic.
I'd rather calculate with 50%.

You this all is +, -, ×, /...

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back