Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to build rf impedance bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dl09

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

I am planning to build a rf impedance bridge, to confirm the antenna impedance is 36.5 ohm. Could I use a digital multimeter to accurately measure the ac output of the impedance bridge?
20200710_182204.jpg

This is a schematic.

Hi,

The answer is already given in your other threads:
No, because a DVM is not suitable for HF measurements.

Klaus

I didn't think the answer would be yes. But I can't afford a 100 mhz oscilloscope. Any alternative to accurately measure the ac output of a rf impedance bridge? The frequency is 100 mhz, I don't think it is in the audio tange.

Hi,

No, it's certainly not in the audio range. It's at about a factor of 10,000 away...

And please, if you mean Megahertz, then use "MHz", with a capital "M"
Because a lower case "m" means "milli"
And "Hz" is the unit for frequency...with a capital "H".

Repeatedly I recommend to start with basics.
My interest in electronics started abou4t 30 years ago. First as hobby, then for several years I went to school to go deepein in ekectronics, mathematics, physics. Worked in many areas of electronics, from production, assembling, developing, testing electronics.
HF never was my favourite, but I had to learn HF PCB design and all around EMI, EMC.
But still I call my HF knowledge just "rudimentaty".

What I want to say: Take your time. Start with basics. Again: Start with basics. Do courses. Random ideas don't result in progress.
Don't expect to be finished with learning within a couple of months. For sure - if you focus on HF - it won't take 30 years...
I'm still learning, that's why I'm a member of this forum.

Klaus

will a vector network analyzer , accurately measure the voltage and current at an antenna?

Yes, but VNA is generally speaking a low power small signal test instrument.
Basically provides Z and S Parameters of transmission systems, cable, antenna,
load.....

What accuracy are you seeking ? What power levels ? What cost do you want to
budget ?

Regards, Dana.

VNA is the preferred tool to measure antenna impedance.

Status
Not open for further replies.