Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trouble with designing digital power supply analog part

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob64

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,
I'm designing a digital bench power supply and i got some problems at the analog part of it .
Here is my specs : 2 PWM filtered for 0-5V linear output and 1 dual DAC witch gives me 0-4.096V and I used voltage dividers on booth to drop at 0-2.5V , voltage dividers are normal value resistors ...
Max output : 2 x 25V at 2.5A (this is why I chosed for 0-2.5V )
What i'm scared off is that if I use 0-2.5V to control my operational amplifiers I can get more noise in it thinking about : 10mA output will be controlled by 10mV from DAC or PWM , 1.52V output controlled by 152mV.
I think my problem can be resolved in 2 ways : I let the first design in place letting the ground PCB plane handle noise , or I redesign the PWM voltage dividers for 0-4.096V witch will cause using wired divider resistors , powering operational amplifiers that amplify current value at 7-8V (4V from oamp will never be got without decent voltage cus of voltage drop) , and this will only approximately double the noise resistance .
There will be much difference between noise rejection of 0-2.5v and 0-4.096V ?
Any tip is good .
Thanx

Sorry for bad english :oops:

I've seen 4 digital power supply's models , 3 using operational amplifiers and that from tuxgraphics.org where I can't trust because the controller set voltage and current in the same time.
My problem is to know if choosing low voltage control 0-2.5V will be more easy to disturb than 0-5v , 0-2.5v more easy to achieve than 0-5v (because 0-4.096V dac) , 3mV disturbance is the maximum I can take for 0-2.5v and 6mV for 0-5V or 0-4.096V .

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.