Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TRIAC in Light Dimmer cct with snubber blows with motor use

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeverSpar

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all. Kindly assist with the following problem.
I have built a standard TRIAC controlled light dimmer circuit found in text books. The circuit uses a BT137 TRIAC (8A 600V), a RC snubber circuit and a 5 A fuse.
The circuit functions fine when used to control incandescent light bulbs, however when used to control the speed of Universal motors (commutator type), such as found in a Dremel power tool (220V; 0.4A) the circuit will vary the speed for about a minute or so and then the TRIAC blows and switches permanently on.
The Component values for the snubber circuit have been experimented with, 100 ohm & 0.1uF and 1 Kilo Ohm & 10nF with no success.
Experimenting is becoming a bit expensive, your advice will be much appreciated.

Image of the present circuit diagram.

Re: TRIAC in Light Dimmer cct with snubber blows with motor

hi
the original circuit for dimmer like this u have mistake in drawing just rotate
trigger circuit accros gate.

Re: TRIAC in Light Dimmer cct with snubber blows with motor

Thanks. Please correct me if I am wrong, the error with the original circuit that I posted was that the Gate was being triggered with respect to MT2 and not MT1. The TRIAC was blowing due to the Gate voltage exceeding its maximum allowable voltage. Am I correct in saying that rotating the TRIAC so that MT2 and MT1 are swopped around, referring to the incorrect circuit, would fix the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.