Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Treadmill disconnects ADSL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzypt

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
treadmill disconnects adsl

My wife was complainig that everytime I start to run on trademill - ADSL was disconnected. I verified that myself.
First I thought it's the noise the PWM motor derives to mains line. I could see some spikes with oscilloscope from 12V powersupply when running the machine so I was pretty sure it was the case. I fed the ADSL modem/router with 12volt battery instead of 12V supply- but treadmill still disconnets the broadband so the line wasn't the issue.
I figured out that it has to be RF noise which is induced to telephone line hence distracting the ADSL.
Is there any fix for problem?

dsl modem treadmill

This was the first hit on Google for "treadmill" and "adsl"

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1081319.html

However that resolves a power issue, which you have already tried to fix, so it may not help much, but it also has a link further down the page to an explanation of the problem.

A couple of things come to mind though. 1. check the router dB noise levels and maybe put an RFI filter on the phoneline, 2. try disconnecting all phone extensions and plug your router in to the master socket only.

treadmill dsl disconnect

mzypt said:
My wife was complainig that everytime I start to run on trademill - ADSL was disconnected. I verified that myself.
First I thought it's the noise the PWM motor derives to mains line. I could see some spikes with oscilloscope from 12V powersupply when running the machine so I was pretty sure it was the case. I fed the ADSL modem/router with 12volt battery instead of 12V supply- but treadmill still disconnets the broadband so the line wasn't the issue.
I figured out that it has to be RF noise which is induced to telephone line hence distracting the ADSL.
Is there any fix for problem?

sorry -- observe it was a late reply.
Try to change the direction of telephone /adsl wire coming to your home to maintain separation from power lines. even the telephone /adsl wires can led into the home thro a metal conduit that is grounded.
take your PC and the Modem to any other phase if the Treadmill works on single phase?
Try to incorporate a additional power line filter on the lines powering the treadmill.

try to EARTH the treadmill motor's body.

with help from the treadmill dealer, see whether the wires leading to motor from the electronics board within the machine can be guided through a metal flexible conduit and the conduit itself connected to ground to shield the radiation of interference.

Finally don't use common ground for PC /adsl and the treadmill.

hope to hear a comment from you soon.

Re: dsl modem treadmill

Thanks temp987, that link you provided fixed the problem for me. :-D

---------- Post added at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

Try to change the direction of telephone /adsl wire coming to your home to maintain separation from power lines

That may be illegal. In many countries, only your telephone provider is allowed to modify any cabling that leads up to the house. I'm sure the telephone provider can check your cabling though (for a fee).

Check out the link that temp987 provided before doing anything drastic! (You can always take the Belkin back to the shop for a refund if it doesn't resolve the problem).

Status
Not open for further replies.