Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Transmission impedance from two port S-parameter for a Diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kads100

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding scattering parameters. How can I extract the impedance of a two port device (Diode) out of a two port S-parameter measurement?

When using one port S-parameter measurement, Z is calculated by transforming the S11 to Z for a specific working point and frequency. Is it correct to transfer the S12 or S21 (which are (almost) identical by a Diode) to Z to get the impedance of the device?

Thank you.

Best regards.

Is it an ordinary diode or special purpose one ??

When using one port S-parameter measurement, Z is calculated by transforming the S11 to Z for a specific working point and frequency. Is it correct to transfer the S12 or S21 (which are (almost) identical by a Diode) to Z to get the impedance of the device?

If you have a working diode, s21 and s12 should be quite different! One correct way would be to transform your s-parameters to y-parameters and use the pi-model. The shunt elements of the model are y11+y12 and y12+y22 and the series admittance is -y12 or -y21. This would be the transfer addmittance you are looking for, i think.

It is an ordinary diode but for higher frequencies

Why should S21 and S12 be quite different, diode is a 2 port device!
I wasn’t that sure if -y12 or -y21 of the pi-model is enough :). Wouldn’t it be better to use the average of y12 and y21, what do think?

@ BigBoss and Kohnjoe: Thank you for your time :)

@ BigBoss and Kohnjoe: Thank you for your time :)

You're welcome.

Why should S21 and S12 be quite different, diode is a 2 port device!
Ah sorry, my mistake!

I wasn’t that sure if -y12 or -y21 of the pi-model is enough :). Wouldn’t it be better to use the average of y12 and y21, what do think?
They should be also equal.

You're welcome.

Ah sorry, my mistake!

They should be also equal.

Ops yes sure ;)... Thank you for the help. I think now I’m more sure that I’m on the right way :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back