Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transistors arrangement for common centroid layout (cross-coupled pairs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junus2012

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dear friends

I am new in the layout design , it is the first time for me to start doing the layout. I attached you the picture of a current current mirror which I would first start with it, later on I will submit the other circuits and I really need your help and support

I am planning to have common centroid layout (cross-coupledpair). In the book of the " Art of analog design" he has gave the example of two mos transistors A and B. but in my circuit I attached I have six transistors (A,B,C,D,E,F) with the sizes you see and I dont know how to do the square array of this circuit and this what I want you to help

6743321200_1350754328.jpg

please keep in your mind that I can go more for higher transistors ratios but never less for the consideration of my main circuit. and also the length is fixed by the technology and I cannot alter it, so the only thing you can change is the width and the number of fingers

thank you very much and I will appreciate any participation of you

If you really want cross-coupling (requires extensive and expensive connectivity), here's my suggestion:

A B C C B A
D E F F E D

A B C
C A B
F D E
D E F

... depending on which aspect ratio you prefer.

All transistors with W=25 and f=6 (instead of m=6),
i.e. fingering instead of multiple transistors. This avoids too complex routing (it's still complicated enough!)

For the side dummies, use W=25 and f=1,
for the top & bottom dummies W=1 and f=6 . Just a suggestion!

Hello erikl

I can not use less transistor ratio for the consideration of the circuit design, so the actual ratio is ( (W/L)*m) and I need to keep the actual ratio as it or more, for example increase W and decrease m as L is fixed . you are free to suggest but with this condition.

in your last suggestion
A B C
C A B
F D E
D E F

it seem to be that you assumed m (or f) = 2 which will reduce the actual ratio, hope you got my problem

it seem to be that you assumed m (or f) = 2 which will reduce the actual ratio

No. Each of your transistors has W*m=50*6=300 . My suggestion is W=2*25*6=300 .

Thank you again
the minimum length I can use is W = 10 uA
you are using two factors (2 and 6 ) what are they ?

No. Each of your transistors has W*m=50*6=300 . My suggestion is W=2*25*6=300 .

the minimum length I can use is W = 10 uA
you are using two factors (2 and 6 ) what are they ?

m=2 (number of transistors: AA, BB, ...)
w=25µm (length of the transistors' fingers)
f=6 (number of fingers (gates) per transistor)

erikl, what about if would only use the factor m and keep f =1 as from my picture. could you then arrange it again

erikl, what about if would only use the factor m and keep f =1 as from my picture. could you then arrange it again

Of course one could. But not me: much too complicated, really doesn't make sense. Hell of a routing work which doesn't pay off!

It seems that you need to match B to A and C and D to E and F. Unless my designer specified that matching was critically important here I would be tempted to layout

*ACBBCA*
*ACBBCA*
*ACBBCA*

*DFEEFD*
*DFEEFD*
*DFEEFD*

* is dummy device

What geometry are you working on (0.35um, 0.13, 65nm) as issues like STI / LOD mismatch will probably have a larger effect on your mirror than your interleaving.

Thank you Pat for your reply,

yes I want to match A with B and C and D and E and F as all representing the same current mirror

It seems that you need to match B to A and C and D to E and F. Unless my designer specified that matching was critically important here I would be tempted to layout

*ACBBCA*
*ACBBCA*
*ACBBCA*

*DFEEFD*
*DFEEFD*
*DFEEFD*

* is dummy device

What geometry are you working on (0.35um, 0.13, 65nm) as issues like STI / LOD mismatch will probably have a larger effect on your mirror than your interleaving.

From the schematic posted it looks like A, B and C is a current mirror where B is the diode connected device, place this in the centre of the array. Likewise D, E and F look like the cascodes to the ABC mirror, E seems to be the diode connected device here so it should go in the mirror. Generally cascode matching is less important than the devices in the mirror.

Hello pat
Actually I have mentioned that this circuit is cascode current mirrror wit hsix transistors not only three. what about your first suggestion? if you have a better suggestion please put it like an array as you did before

Thank you again

From the schematic posted it looks like A, B and C is a current mirror where B is the diode connected device, place this in the centre of the array. Likewise D, E and F look like the cascodes to the ABC mirror, E seems to be the diode connected device here so it should go in the mirror. Generally cascode matching is less important than the devices in the mirror.

- - - Updated - - -

is it possible to match three transistors separately fro the other ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back