Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer simulation in HFSS

goatmxj666

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm simulating a transformer right now.

When I simulated the primary and secondary inductor separately, I got an inductance value very close to the ideal value of 500pH.

However, when I stack them together and run the simulation, I got inductance values of 140pH and 180pH respectively.

How can I find the value of an inductor used in a transformer like the one shown below?

1692108978859.png

The orange layer below is the primary inductor and the green layer above is the secondary inductor.

1692108684149.png

This is my port setup. (primary ind= Port1, secondary ind= Port3)

Attachments

• 1692108831773.png
    1692108831773.png
    100.5 KB · Views: 66
What equations did you use to calculate inductance of primary/secondary?
I used 'im(1/Y(Diff1,Diff1))/(2*pi*freq)' equation.

I get accurate inductance when I used 'im(Z(Diff1,Diff1))/(2*pi*freq)'.

I think these two equations are same, but results are different.

Do you know the reason?

I think these two equations are same, but results are different.
Sure, your transformer turns are coupled and the load at the secondary will change impedance at the primary. Z11 is the input impedance with the other ports OPEN, 1/Y11 is the input impedance with the other ports SHORTED.

Solution
Sure, your transformer turns are coupled and the load at the secondary will change impedance at the primary. Z11 is the input impedance with the other ports OPEN, 1/Y11 is the input impedance with the other ports SHORTED.
Thank you so much for your response!!

It is really helpful!

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: