Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tips for transmitting under water

Status
Not open for further replies.

v8power

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Transmitting under water

I have been working with transmtter modules that have been working quite well I want to try using them for a under water project. is there any thing that I will need to look at or is it proetty much the same as air transmissions?

media impedance

Is this radio or sonar? If radio, you will have trouble with the water because the dielectric constant is 81 which reduces the wavelength by 9 times. You will get severe attenuation for long distances or if you want to go from the water to air. Salt water is very conductive and you require kW to MW transmitters with low bit rates (under 1 bit/second).

Re: Transmitting under water

I am using the Linx 916 ES transmitters trandmitting at 38400 buad. air distance is about 1000' they are fully potted and sealed.

all I need is about 10' to 15' under water do you think this will happen with no modifications??? at a maximum depth of about 150'

problems

Try them in a bath tub, then a pond. It is hard to guess your results. You only need 1% of range so it may work.

Hi v8power

What is the frequency of your transmitter? Some frequencies are much more attenuated than others. Use low frequencies for under water transmissions.

Bye

You need fiberoptic communication, otherwise the distance will be extremely reduced.

Why working with radio transmitters when u can use ultrasonic modules which work pretty well in water? Unless of course your application specifically requires radio transmitter. Otherwise a combination of both technologies is also feasible

916MHz. I am open to using any thing, the reason I ant to use the transmitters is cause I already use them for a product my comapny makes. so it would be easy. I dont care if the distance is reduces I only need at most 10 feet its for a scuba diving project.

D1_DRE said:
Why working with radio transmitters when u can use ultrasonic modules which work pretty well in water? Unless of course your application specifically requires radio transmitter. Otherwise a combination of both technologies is also feasible

do you have any links to a god drop in module??? for ultra sonic

Hi v8power

I don't think that you'll have good link quality at 900MHz. If you need radio communication try frequencies in KW bands as 27MHz or lower. Using ultrasonic seems to me a good idea.

Bye

High frequency ultrasonic communication in water has very very bad effects on habitat. Fiberoptics, yes they're expensive but how much is earth? For clear world what will you spend? Try low frequency ultrasonic or fiberoptic communication.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back