Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tips for 2 layer PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjoejohn

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am making a 2 layer PCB for a motor driver, whats the typical layout for a 2 layer pcb?
Is one layer lets say the bottom ground? And the top layer for power and connection of components? Or how should I do this, the expected current draw will be around 15+ amps continuous.

Is this a PWM design? If so, you'll need to pay attention to ground-plane and layout. 15 Amps is a fair amount of current, minimum trace widths should be about 500 mils (12.6mm) If you can have a solid ground plane on the bottom, that would be great, but not at the expense of needing longer traces on the other layer.

...Is one layer lets say the bottom ground? And the top layer for power and connection of components?...

This is a common practice, but there are a number of other recommendations, including the physical (but not electric) separation of ground planes, greater thickness copper, solder mask removal, etc...

+++

This is a common practice, but there are a number of other recommendations, including the physical (but not electric) separation of ground planes, greater thickness copper, solder mask removal, etc...

+++

Help me understand, for a 2 layer, if bottom is ground and top is power...wouldn't all the component on top be all connected to power??....Guess im confused

...wouldn't all the component on top be all connected to power??....

I meant that you should spread the ground plane as much as possible along bottom layer, but during routing activity should give priority to power connections, which certainly you can´t succeed restricted just to top layer, having to do on both layers.

+++

Without at least a schematic we can only guess...
Voltages, current, devices etc etc

Try to keep tracks to the top so that you can get more ground on the bottom but as said - not at the expense of making them much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back