Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

third harmonic in sigma delta modulator's output spectrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

pankaj jha

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am following the thesis " Look-ahead Sigma-Delta Modulation and its application to Super Audio CD".
In Chapter 2 (Basics of sigma-delta modulation) page 24 it is mentioned that -- "Typical distortion of an SDM consists of odd harmonic components, i.e. components at (2n + 1) · fin ." I can understand that since the quantizer is non-linear, making sigma delta modulator a non-linear system, odd harmonics prop in the spectrum of the modulator's output.
Can you suggest me the necessary papers/references which can provide me a detailed explanation of the above argument

There are different sources of non-linearity in a SD-modulator. The assumption, that you mainly see odd harmonics is of course based on prerequisites, generally speaking no even terms present in the polynomials describing the transfer characteristics of individual building blocks.

There's a paragraph about distortion in the simulation chapter of Nortsworthy, Schreier, Temes: Delta-Sigma Data Converters- Theory, Design and Simulation

There are different sources of non-linearity in a SD-modulator. The assumption, that you mainly see odd harmonics is of course based on prerequisites, generally speaking no even terms present in the polynomials describing the transfer characteristics of individual building blocks.

There's a paragraph about distortion in the simulation chapter of Nortsworthy, Schreier, Temes: Delta-Sigma Data Converters- Theory, Design and Simulation

Thanks FvM for the reference. Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.