Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thin 5V electronics wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roineust

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

What is the formal name or term for the thinnest and lightest electronics wire (coated or isolated), that can carry up to 5-7 volts for a couple of small servos? What is the formal term for having such a wire, already braided or connected as 3 wires with 3 different colors? Would that be a 0.2 mm wire a 0.4 mm wire? What is it called formally?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Is the following wire intended as soldering material or as a wire for conducting electricity? If it is for electricity, is the coating (Enamelled ) good enough? will it do for 5V?:

**broken link removed**

Thanks.

Wire doesn't carry voltage, it carries current. THAT'S what determines your wire size (mostly).

This might help
**broken link removed**

I do not know what are your current (how many mA/A) requirements, but for needs like yours, I use the article code ST02000004-500 which you can find in the following page: https://wires.co.uk/acatalog/st_wire.html
It is made of 4x 0.2mm diameter of magnetic wire. Every wire has a different color and you can solder it (it requires your solder tip to be at least 400°C)

here is the wire I'm referring to, near some 0402 capacitors (click to enlarge):
SM-100.jpg

Last edited:
Hey bepobalote !!

That looks great!

The only problem is, that they have a kind of commercial minimum weight of 500 grams!

Do you know any other place, where i can buy these ,at a smaller volume?

Thanks.

You can try old ribbon cables in computers that is used to connect HDD, CDROM to the mother board.

Headphone cable (the kind for lightweight phones) has 3 conductors, each a different color (left channel, right channel, ground).

Its wires are flexible stranded, very thin gauge. May not be suitable for any but small servos.

It should be easily available, seeing how often lightweight headphones seem to develop bad connections.

However there is a chance that the signal wire may receive interference due to being close to the power-carrying wires.

Sorry, no. It is the only place I know you can buy in such "small" size.
All other places sold much higher weight rolls.

OK! up to this point -

The used light weight headphone cables, with a damaged connection, that (almost!) no one needs, seems to be the most cost effective solution, for hobbyist needs, like mine.

But, take into consideration, that i only stripped the headphone cables out of the wider layer and weighed them (less than 1 gram per 2 meters!!) - but still, i did not solder them to the micro servos, in order to see if they work well this way. There is also the issue with the thin fabric, rolled inside each of the 3 colored wires, probably for cable strengthening purpose - and i don't know if it will not make any trouble when soldering.

Thanks people!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back