Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Theoretical basis for Resistance Measurement with a microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iuri

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm thinking in build a Resistance Meter using a microcontroller, but dont know exactly how to do this.

My requirements at beginning: 0 ~ 10Mohms

Searching around, I've found an Microchip application note that describles a construction of a R meter, but the range is too low (0~999ohms) for my desires.

My first thought was to build a 555 in a astable mode, using R1 or R2 as my "unkown" parameter and measuring the frequency given get the resistance associated, but seens to be a worst solution, maybe even not a solution.

Anyone can lead me a way in the resistance measurement? common circuitry, related theory, advices, ...

Thank you!

P.S: not sure if i posted it in the right place

Does the microcontroller have an analog input? That would make it easier.

Yes, i'm using the PIC 18F2550.

You can do it trough a voltage divider... or a Wheatstone bridge ... But I don't know if you can have all that range with a single circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back