Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The wire is too thin for the DB9 connector shall making it easier to break, solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixofdynamism

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need input from a NES controller. Since the connector at end of a NES controller is custom for the console it is used with, I severed the connector and soldered the wires to a DB9 connector. I also got a shell for the connector as show below:

x_ad210-39_72dpi.jpg

I expected that the shell shall hold the wire tight once it is closed and screwed. However, I found that the wire of the controller was very thin. Although it has been soldered to the DB9 connector, it will break if limited force is applied. Since the shell does not "hold onto" the wire so any pulling force is resisted, I am afraid that the connection is not reliable.

Game controllers are likely to get pulled with from time and again. What should I do now?

In case you are wondering, this is what a NES controller looks like:
Untitled.png

You mean that the cable is too thin to be fixed by the strain relief?

There are many ways to fix the cable though, e.g. use shrink tubes to increase the diameter, reverse on of the clamp parts, use a different Sub-D connector type.

I agree with post #2, see if the clamp pieces (bottom left of your photo) can be flipped around, to fit various thickness of wires.

See if you can loop the wire around a screw or pin.

For looks it's hard to beat the molded strain relief on a commercial manufacture. It grips the wire firmly. When I make a repair I usually reach for hot-melt glue. I heat a stick over a candle, and daub it on or shape it with a small tool. However it's extremely sticky. You might have trouble if you want to disassemble the shell someday. Therefore stick a layer of plastic, etc., to the shell where you plan to apply glue.

An old-timer showed me how to make a mid-cable strain relief. Gather a half-loop, then wrap a rubber band around it several times. The rubber band gives when the wire is yanked. This takes strain off the connectors.

Rubber is the preferred material because it really "grips" under pressure.

Any type of plastic cable, or even heat shrink can tend to slide and move around under many very crude types of strain relief.

The ideal method might be to find a short length of soft rubber hose that is a tight push fit over the cable for an inch or two. That will not only really grip, it will prevent any acute bending right at the cable grip point for very thin cable.

Sometimes its necessary to build up a very thin cable with one or more layers of heat shrink to be a tight fit inside a rubber hose.

Hello matrixofdynamism,
Curl the cable into an "S" position and clamp the two parts of the cable. If its still not enough, snake another part in as well. But make sure when clamping it down that you have it all within the rounded part of the clamp and it not pinching part of it within the flat areas.
Regards,
Relayer

Those connectors are designed so that you can reverse one of the clamps so the bump is down onto the cable to grip it.
Also once its in place put a cable tie around it so it is not pulled out, leave enough slack in the wires so they are not under strain.

Also/or if there is room and the cable is thin, loop it and put a cable tie on so the loop sits inside the connector housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back