Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The system will shut down when I insert the ethenet cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingtin

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys, I have a big problem here.
The system will shut down when I insert the ethenet cable.
Signal ENET_MEDIA_SENSE which is connected to PCH is used to detect the insertion of ethenet cable.
When I insert the cable, this signal goes high from 0v to 3.3V, then my system shut down.
We have a pull down 10K resistor connect to this signal.
Remove this resistor, then system will not shut down.
I don't know where is wrong. Kindly help.
Thanks
Tina

Sounds like a short-circuit protection mechanism to me. Measure the applicable currents and verify there isn't a spike when the cable is connected. You may need a larger pull-down resistor.

Hi,

I had the same problem, this was due to the network adaptor receiving a spike in power and basically trying to blow the board. As a protective measure my Laptop would Blue Screen then restart. I found out It was due to the network and not my laptop and the ethernet cable was outputting too much. You may need to check you voltage levels and then look for any short circuits in your LAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.