Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The relation between cable losses and cable length in coaxial cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

alqasim

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In coaxial cable, is there any relation between cable length and losses , i mean does the reflection coefficient have an effect on the cable losses

flatulent

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Re: cable losses

Yes. The loss of cables is in dB/m so the length is a factor. Also the reflection loss is a function of load impedance and cable impedance.

alqasim

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

is the loss a function of reflection coefficient

Azulykit

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

Insertion loss has a number of components including conductor and dielectric loss as well as loss due to reflected power (described by reflection coefficient).

The literal answer is that insertion loss is not a function of reflection coefficient (because insertion loss also has additional components).

vfone

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

Yes, there is a relation between Reflection Coefficient Γ and Loss

Reflection coefficient Γ = (VSWR – 1) / (VSWR + 1)

Missmatch Loss (dB) = – 10*LOG (1 – Γ²)

alqasim

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

Is there any possibility that the losses will be less for a longer cable length depending on VSWR ( i am talking about the same cable type and frequancy )

Azulykit

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

Cable insertion loss increases with length. The greater the VSWR the greater the reflection loss.

I imagine that one might contrive a situation where an improvement in VSWR for a longer cable might give the appearance of lower overall loss, but this is not the normal situation.

alqasim

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

I want to ask a question in this way, if I am working on 200 MHz the wave length will be 1.5 m, so the half wave length will be 0.75 m.

If I have two coaxial cables 30 m & 28.15 m respectively, the cable loss for 28.15 will be higher than the cable loss for 30 m. Am I right?

fernetbranca

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

The wavelenght inside the coax is not the same as in the free space, so it's not c/f.
Coax have a "velocity factor" (0-1) wich means that the wave velocity is less than "c", the speed of light. From what I know, wavelenght should be calculated this way.

If you have two identical coax, working with the same load connected, at the same frequency (and bandwidth), the attenuation will be higher in the longer coax (more dB/m I think)

(Please correct me if you think I'm wrong)

FvM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

If I have two coaxial cables 30 m & 28.15 m respectively, the cable loss for 28.15 will be higher than the cable loss for 30 m. Am I right?
I think, generally not. First of all, any effect of impedance mismatch shouldn't be designated cable loss. Cable loss is basically independant of impedance matching, a frequency dependant (approximately proportional to squareroot of frequency) and length proportional attenuation.

Vfone has presented some formulas for reflection or mismatch loss. As a problem, the formula only applies if the other cable end is matched. With two-side mismatch, you get a complicated situation, where also the cable length (as multiply of wavelength) matters. For each pair of source and load impedance, you get alternating maximum and minimum transmission factor with varying cable length.

alqasim

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

thank you for all participations

Cable loss is basically independant of impedance matching, a frequency dependant (approximately proportional to squareroot of frequency) and length proportional attenuation.

Can you give me any equation about this ?

g579

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

Perhaps you would examine your measuring setup. If it is not correct, the results will also be incorrect

FvM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

Can you give me any equation about this ?
This can be seen from cable manufacturers data, e. g. suhner.com. The squareroot relation is valid for a region where cable resistance (skin effect) losses are dominant.

amaral.eel

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

Beyond of to be dependent of frequency and of lenght, cable losses is dependent of impedance matching between cable and connector.

ulasaci13

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

sure it is about the length of the cable..it changes but if you want to use a standart loss value; you should take 0.22 dB / m for coaxial.

pankajdudulwar

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cable losses

As discussed in above post I am expressing my view if I am wrong plz correct me.The cable characteristics given by manufacturer provides the maximum frequency of operation of the cable. So the wavelength and length of the cable might have relation but generally if it specifies that the cable is working for the specified frequency than it work for small as well as large cable length only the losses will differ with the length.

Status
Not open for further replies.