Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The performance of NI LabVIEW module

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhea_rayos

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.

I am a LabVIEW user. But I was only able to use National Instruments' data acquisition, controller, and switch card modules. I was wondering if anyone has tried using LabVIEW FPGA module (I believe the FPGA is a XILINX part).

I'm planning to write a thesis about FPGA-based microprocessor testing. I'm not yet sure whether to use NI's FPGA or should I just stick with XILINX. Can anyone give me feedback about the performance of NI LabVIEW module?

Thanks in advance.

labview and xilinx

If I did mistake The Labview FPGA module from Natinal Instrument only target and working for specific "Programable controler card (or module) of NI, It is did work with any custom build FPGA device cuircuits or Boards from Xilinx, Altera ......

rhea_rayos said:
Hi.

I am a LabVIEW user. But I was only able to use National Instruments' data acquisition, controller, and switch card modules. I was wondering if anyone has tried using LabVIEW FPGA module (I believe the FPGA is a XILINX part).

I'm planning to write a thesis about FPGA-based microprocessor testing. I'm not yet sure whether to use NI's FPGA or should I just stick with XILINX. Can anyone give me feedback about the performance of NI LabVIEW module?

Thanks in advance.

labview xilinx

thank you kpham3779.

the reason why i considered using labview is that i know labview can save text files (this is important for datalogging purposes). i need to save in a file the results of the tests i would perform on a microprocessor (which as of the moment, i'm thinking of testing an 8085 or 8086 uprocessor).

im thinking maybe i can use labview fpga, which targets specific NI card, which in turn can stimulate the uprocessor im testing.

but i need to hear any comments from labview fpga users first regarding its performance before i disregard XILINX.

for the meantime, i hope any xilinx user can give some tips on how i can save test results into a text file...

hoping to have a reply again from anyone of you...

thanks...

LabVIEW and XILINX

I think it is possible to use the Labview FPGA module from Natinal Instrument. But what type of the test you are going to do with the 8085 or 8086

FPGA-based Microprocessor Testing

well, i haven't completely studied 8085's or 8086's architecture yet (so i don't have my test plans yet either).

but basically, i should be able to to check whether i can store a data in each register and when i try to access that register, it should have the value i stored; i should also be able to send a program and monitor the flags' status (i. e., carry flag should be 1 when there is a carry... the same goes for overflow, zero, sign and other flags). i should also check at what clock rates the uprocessor can operate... the program that i will send to the microprocessor under test should contain all the instruction sets for the uprocessor, and it should give me the expected results.

stuffs like that... i'm still researching on how ATE's perform uprocessor testing (i hope someone can give me idea how uprocessor testing is being done. the only way i can think of is to give instructions -- all those in the instruction tests -- and compare the results with the expected results).

the aim of my thesis is to test a microprocessor at a lower cost (but definitely at a longer test time).

i'm still wondering how i can store text files using xilinx. anyone... HEEEEELP!!!:D

Added after 10 minutes:

LabVIEW and XILINX

I think you must use a dual port RAM between the FPGA and the processor under test to write and read instructions and data to the processor under test The FPGA can only monitor the address bus, data bus and control bus of the processor under test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back