Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The LNA stability checked through phase margin and k factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunlee

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
As i know, we can check the stability of the LNA through phase margin and k factor (which can calculated from s-parameter).

is it the stability that calculated by phase margin and k factor is means for the same type of stability? or they mean different types of stability?

Thank you for your help...

Re: LNA stability

when i do the LNA and check the stabiltiy, i use the ADS to do this job automatically

Phase margin is more for feedback systems. The stability of an RF amplifier is usually drawn on a smith chart showing input and output terminations that cause or not oscillations. This is done for a wide range of frequencies, not just the one you are to use. Then you examine (or design) the input and output networks to be in the stable impedance range for each frequency.

for springf2000, how do u automatically check the stability of the LNA using @ds.
i designed an LNA and i doubt that it oscillates at 2 GHz, how can i be sure of that?!
THANKS IN ADVANCE.

simply check the real value of the zin and zout of the amp

to prevent any oscillation
Re(Zs) > |Re(Zin)|
this make sure that the amplifier will not oscillate in input port
Re(Zl) > |Re(Zouy)|

and check gonzalez book for details

and u can do this very easly in @DS

wish this help

khouly

You can use the built in funtion in ADS, in S-parameter simulation. Like s_stab_circle, mu etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back