Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The future of Silicon

Status
Not open for further replies.

evehits

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
we all heard about the max speed limit of digital electronics and µP design and how Intel stucked at about 4GHz max speed
my question is that can we build transistor from other materials than silicon
or is it possible to use like optical devices to teleport charges from place to another without delay or propogation time ....imagine that!!
I think transistors are becoming outdated

Cheers,
Eve

Other types of semiconductors other than silicon have been used for a long time. Some was manufactured even before silicon.

Reason why silicon was popular is because it is easily available and it's oxide is a good stable non-conducting material.

Do search on Germanium (Ge), and Gallium arsenide (GaAs)

moreover,IC Fabrication by using SI is very easy when compared to remaining available elements...also it is having less leakage current than others....also easy availability in the from of SiO2

I have heard that they are planning to use carbon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back