Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The Fast Counter Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

hami1101

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone

I have a question regarding counter design, actually I have analog signal which has a positive and negative peaks of only 10 micro second duration. I wanted to detect those positive peaks only using arduino microcontroller and then displaying the detected peak values as well but since the adc of arduino is slow and takes about 100 micro second to read an analog input so its not possible by using adc of arduino and I am now required to use some fast counter which can count these positive peaks and then the arduino can be used to display the number of counts.

I hope I have explained my work in a good way and look forward to get support on this :)

Thanks in advance to everyone

Hello!

It depends whether you want to DETECT the pulses only or MEASURE them.
If you want to detect, as you wrote, then you don't have to measure. Generate some pulse
(for instance with an op-amp so that you can change the threshold) and generate an interrupt
on some pin.

Dora.

I don't know how about arduino but most microcontrollers themselves have a comparator which can generate an interrupt on positive or negative comparison result. These comparators are typically much faster than adc so maybe you can use that?

Status
Not open for further replies.