The easiest microcontroller to learn about

Status
Not open for further replies.
easiest microtroller series to learn

i'm beginner too...i think AVR and PIC more easier than 8051.
and AVR/PIC programming more simple

picaxe 18x datasheet

They all come easy once you get a hang of it aka DATASHEET.i started with 8051 and although the development board to start off with is a bit expensive it is worthwhile.

PIC architecture is pretty robust and the ones with ICSP(in-circuit programming) won't cost you a programmer too.Download MPlab Ide from microchip.com and start off with assembly language coding(assembler comes free with ide).If you do get a project working,you could move onto basic or c for that matter as by then you would know the work-around for everything that comes your way,things like memory optimization ,stack usage,bank switches,interrupt vectors etc

i startedof wth atmega16 avr i think its qiutre simple.just download avrstudio4,winavr from gcc and u r ready 2 go.u can burn it wth a number of circuits on net.there r many tutorials to get u started.njoy..

The easiest MCU to start with is 8051 , then you can learn AVR too easier ...

I think u can use the easier 8051 Family...

regards

OK.
Here is the task: using a microcontroller build a device that takes 0-5V from a potentiometer and turns on 4 LEDs starting from 1.25V - one LED, 2.5V - two LEDs, 3.75V - 3 LEDs, 5V - 4 LEDs.
Can somebody suggest a microcontroller and give some hints about program.
Bye!!!

To control 4 LEDs you need 4 outputs and to read potentiometer 1 A/D input ..
PICAXE-18X will be a good candidate for this job .. it has several pins that can be defined as Outputs and internal 10-bit ADC ..
Connect potentiometer to ADC0 and LEDs from 0V through resistors to Out1, Out2 Out3 and Out4 ..
The BASIC code may look like this:
Code:
loop:

readadc 0,w1     ‘ read value on ADC0 into w1 - 10-bit ..
  if w1>255 and w1<512 then led1
  if w1>512 and w1<768 then led2
  if w1>768 and w1<1023 then led3
  if w1>1023 then led4
  low 1
  low 2
  low 3
  low 4
  pause 200       ‘ short delay
  goto loop       ‘ loop back to start

led1:

high 1
  low 2
  low 3
  low 4
  pause 200
  goto loop

led2:

high 1
  high 2
  low 3
  low 4
  pause 200
  goto loop

led3:

high 1
  high 2
  high 3
  low 4
  pause 200
  goto loop

led4:

high 1
  high 2
  high 3
  high 4
  pause 200
  goto loop

end

If you reduce number of LEDs to 3 you can do similar thing with PICAXE-08M, or if you are happy with 8-bit conversion you can use PICAXE-08 (3-LEDs) or PICAXE-18 (4 or more LEDs) ..

Regards,
IanP

Hi IanP
Thanks for your suggestion.
How would you do it with 8051?
Bye!!!

Just
Code:
clr p0.1
to light up a LED at Port 0, Pin 1

With basic 8051-derivative the story is not as simple as with PICAXE ..
First of all, they don't have ADC blocks, so you have two options: find a derivative that has ADC (for example, 87C752 or 87C550) or add external ADC ..
As far as program is concerned, this is a very basic excercise and shouldn't be an obstacle for even unexperienced programmer ..
However, and I can only repeat what I have already said, in applications like this NOTING CAN BEAT PICAXE !!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
IanP

I would first learn C for PIC/AVR. I have used PICAXE, but once you have learned C, it will be easy to learn BASIC and all the other languages.

i learn all micro controller, initially 51 start , but when try to learn pic i felt that it is too difficult , but after 3-4 project it become so easy to make project on pic ,then i try with avr but not so success, i am still find some application which may be good to mount on avr processor.

all are good to learn , but pic is so reach in documentation on net and 51 is also have good hw and sw support on net .

good luck.

The Chip-8 "CPU" is really fun to learn. (read play with)

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…