Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The easiest microcontroller to learn about

Status
Not open for further replies.
easiest microtroller series to learn

i'm beginner too...i think AVR and PIC more easier than 8051.
and AVR/PIC programming more simple

picaxe 18x datasheet

They all come easy once you get a hang of it aka DATASHEET.i started with 8051 and although the development board to start off with is a bit expensive it is worthwhile.

PIC architecture is pretty robust and the ones with ICSP(in-circuit programming) won't cost you a programmer too.Download MPlab Ide from microchip.com and start off with assembly language coding(assembler comes free with ide).If you do get a project working,you could move onto basic or c for that matter as by then you would know the work-around for everything that comes your way,things like memory optimization ,stack usage,bank switches,interrupt vectors etc

i startedof wth atmega16 avr i think its qiutre simple.just download avrstudio4,winavr from gcc and u r ready 2 go.u can burn it wth a number of circuits on net.there r many tutorials to get u started.njoy..

The easiest MCU to start with is 8051 , then you can learn AVR too easier ...

I think u can use the easier 8051 Family...

regards

OK.
Here is the task: using a microcontroller build a device that takes 0-5V from a potentiometer and turns on 4 LEDs starting from 1.25V - one LED, 2.5V - two LEDs, 3.75V - 3 LEDs, 5V - 4 LEDs.
Can somebody suggest a microcontroller and give some hints about program.
Bye!!!

To control 4 LEDs you need 4 outputs and to read potentiometer 1 A/D input ..
PICAXE-18X will be a good candidate for this job .. it has several pins that can be defined as Outputs and internal 10-bit ADC ..
Connect potentiometer to ADC0 and LEDs from 0V through resistors to Out1, Out2 Out3 and Out4 ..
The BASIC code may look like this:
Code:
loop:

readadc 0,w1     ‘ read value on ADC0 into w1 - 10-bit ..
  if w1>255 and w1<512 then led1
  if w1>512 and w1<768 then led2
  if w1>768 and w1<1023 then led3
  if w1>1023 then led4
  low 1
  low 2
  low 3
  low 4
  pause 200       ‘ short delay
  goto loop       ‘ loop back to start

led1:

high 1
  low 2
  low 3
  low 4
  pause 200
  goto loop

led2:

high 1
  high 2
  low 3
  low 4
  pause 200
  goto loop

led3:

high 1
  high 2
  high 3
  low 4
  pause 200
  goto loop

led4:

high 1
  high 2
  high 3
  high 4
  pause 200
  goto loop

end

If you reduce number of LEDs to 3 you can do similar thing with PICAXE-08M, or if you are happy with 8-bit conversion you can use PICAXE-08 (3-LEDs) or PICAXE-18 (4 or more LEDs) ..

Regards,
IanP

Hi IanP
Thanks for your suggestion.
How would you do it with 8051?
Bye!!!

Just
Code:
clr p0.1
to light up a LED at Port 0, Pin 1

With basic 8051-derivative the story is not as simple as with PICAXE ..
First of all, they don't have ADC blocks, so you have two options: find a derivative that has ADC (for example, 87C752 or 87C550) or add external ADC ..
As far as program is concerned, this is a very basic excercise and shouldn't be an obstacle for even unexperienced programmer ..
However, and I can only repeat what I have already said, in applications like this NOTING CAN BEAT PICAXE !!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
IanP

I would first learn C for PIC/AVR. I have used PICAXE, but once you have learned C, it will be easy to learn BASIC and all the other languages.

i learn all micro controller, initially 51 start , but when try to learn pic i felt that it is too difficult , but after 3-4 project it become so easy to make project on pic ,then i try with avr but not so success, i am still find some application which may be good to mount on avr processor.

all are good to learn , but pic is so reach in documentation on net and 51 is also have good hw and sw support on net .

good luck.

The Chip-8 "CPU" is really fun to learn. (read play with)

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back