Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The advantages of Dolphin Smash tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdvaRes

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi members,
Recenty I discovered a very interresting tool for Mixed signal design: Smash. It is a very powefull tool.
I need to know the advantage of that tool compared to HSPICE, HSPICE RF (synopsys) and Eldo ?

Any documentation/tutorial regarding the tool will be highly welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

verilog-a dolphin

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

dolphin smash turorial

Hi derek122,
Thanks for your help but I could not access that links can you update them ?

smash dolphin tutorial

I know this tool since 1995 and could compare it over the years to Spectre, Eldo, HSpice and Hsim.

It could not match to the specific strengths of the others but it is feature rich and very productive.

Its own strength is the single core mixed and multilanguage implementation, an integrated enviroment with netlist editor features, good waveform and so on.

The biggest drawback are the competitors which force in companion with the fabs the market leader. My wish would be alternative fab kits w/o leader dominance. Then there is also a way for more innovative tools like Smash.

I was happy to see that they implement the node impedance listing and subcircuit power consumption summary 3 years after my feature request. But my company actual does not use it now.

Re: Dolphin Smash Users

rfsystem said:
Its own strength is the single core mixed and multilanguage implementation, an integrated enviroment with netlist editor features, good waveform and so on.

Can it export the netlist from the schematic editor in a spice-like (or hspice-like) format so that one can quickly compare results against spectre, hspice or other simulators ?

Does it support Verilog-A , for example ?

Curious, I never used it.

n1cm0c said:
rfsystem said:

Can it export the netlist from the schematic editor in a spice-like (or hspice-like) format so that one can quickly compare results against spectre, hspice or other simulators ?

Yes it support Verilog A, SystemC, VHDL....

There was a multi-year plan to fully support all relevant languages for AMS descriptions and we encounter differences in VerilogA on Spectre to Smash implementations.

VerilogA is one of the later languages to be supported. And the language feature list is what you have to look for.

So the dream of a single database with various simulators still does not work. Also pure spice and the models lacks compatibility in detail. But to be honest also Eldo and Spectre are in incompatible in some manner.

n1cm0c said:
rfsystem said:

Smash ? Verilog-A , no. Use hspice.

Smash not have schematic editor, use cadence!

if has cadence editor, why use smash ? Less money ?
l

Please make suggestions if you have used the tool for a while. Be serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back